Sales and acquisitions
Bennett Valley Law represents buyers, sellers and investors in transactions involving undeveloped and developed land including office buildings, retail sites, mixed-use complexes, wineries and golf courses. The tasks may include
- Negotiating brokerage agreements, options, purchase agreements, ground leases and loan documents
- Structuring joint venture, operating and buy-out agreements
- Reviewing, analyzing and summarizing due diligence and title materials
- Drafting cross easements, escrow and other closing documents
Bennett Valley Law represents both tenants and landlords in connection with office, industrial, ground lease and retail leasing transactions.
- Helen Sedwick has represented landlords in leases covering millions of square feet of office and industrial space as well retail leases against major national tenants including Ann Taylor, Chili's, Starbucks, 99 Cents Only Stores and 24 Hour Fitness.
- On the tenant side, Helen has represented publicly held companies, financial institutions, start-up companies, law firms, physicians, venture capital firms, advertising agencies, incubators and other businesses in negotiating headquarters and regional leases and subleases against both local and nationally recognized landlords. She has worked with biotechnology companies in negotiating large facility leases involving extensive and expensive build-outs.
- Helen has represented buyers and sellers of public and private companies in performing due diligence reviews of leases and processing the assignment of leases in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
Inevitably, some transactions do not go as planned. Helen represents borrowers, landlords and tenants in workout transactions. She continues to teach seminars to tenants, brokers and attorneys regarding the business and bankruptcy issues which arise when a tenant fails. If litigation is necessary, BVL will assist the client in engaging a litigation professional.
High Net Worth Individuals
In representing clients with substantial wealth, BVL advises them regarding acquisitions, privacy matters, transfers of property and control, and the engagement of professional advisors. BVL works closely with tax and estate planning attorneys to resolve title, co-ownership and succession issues and establish estate planning structures. BVL approaches these matters with great respect for the sensitivity and complexity of the legal and personal issues involved.
Pro Bono Clients
Representing clients pro bono brings great personal satisfaction. Among the clients Helen has represented are the Peninsula Humane Society in acquiring a new site for its shelter, the Bureau of Jewish Education of San Francisco in connection with housing its library of rare books, and The San Francisco Girls Chorus in buying a long term home for its music programs.